My outfit posts have really been few and far between this year - future me will be shaking her fists at the lack of style memories to come! Even this outfit hails from a freezing December Saturday last year, but what I'd like to do here is chat a bit about my personal style for autumn/winter and how it's evolving...or not. Working on my capsule wardrobe has really proved a bit of an eyeopener! Some of my pieces have really stood the test of time and I'm still picking similar items now. It's taken me the best part of 27 years to find a style I'm comfortable with and I'm still not sure what category my clothes would fall into; that said, I'd probably wear this outfit again today. I thought I'd subject my cold weather style to a little analysis, and concluded the following:
- I wear fewer dresses these days, thanks to the discovery of Dorothy Perkins Eden jeans - they're seriously the comfiest jeans/jeggings around and often reduced to about £16. I have them in grey and black and they form the cornerstone of my wardrobe. You can see them in action here.
- Despite wearing fewer dresses, I'm still happiest in tights and skirts - in these photos I'm wearing my trusty ASOS plaid skirt, which has lasted for four years and is still going strong. This a/w I've supplemented it with a super soft faux suede skirt, as well as a couple of pinafore dresses and some perennially useful high waisted black pencil skirts.
- I will always appreciate a good jumper. For this outfit, as with the last few years, I've opted for Primark as they've really upped their jumper game! I also love H&M for affordable knitwear.
- Over-knee boots are now my thing - despite being on the shorter side (5'4" on a good day) I've been wearing over-knee boots since 2009. I love how they keep my legs snug and warm and I feel like they dress up otherwise boring outfits. Recently I invested in a suede pair from ASOS which I adore - they have an amazing (and affordable) selection at the moment!
- Nothing surpasses the importance of a good coat, especially if you're based in cooler climes! The green H&M pea coat featured had a good run - I now alternate it with a navy version from Next as it's wool-based and super cosy.
- When it comes to scarves, checked is best in my wardrobe - I have a pastel and grey version for spring, and a couple of snuggly warm toned scarves for winter. The one featured here is a massive Primark blanket scarf which I've still been able to spot in stores now, I think it was something ridiculous like £6.
- I'm mostly drawn to greys, warm burgundies, soft greens, creams, and the odd touch of mustard this year. Plus a bucketload of black, because this once-upon-a-time emo girl just won't go away.
If pressed I think I'd describe my style as quite preppy, yet comfy! I'm quite tempted to do a 2015 version of this outfit for my next style post - what do you think?